Friday, January 4, 2019

Spiritual Self Care

The "S" in P.I.E.S - Spiritual 


While the word 'spiritual' may invoke thoughts of God, religion, or church in many people, 'spiritual health' can be anything we do to find a 'connection' to something 'bigger than ourselves,'.... and gives us a sense of 'purpose' in our lives. 

It could be God.  It could be a religion, or a church.  It could be the Universe itself. 

Whatever it is that you feel gives your life 'meaning,' is something that is deserving of your attentiveness to it. 

As a non-religious person, who does believe in 'God' though not in the way that most people do, I had a fair amount of work to do in order that I may find my path to the pursuit of spiritual self care... 

And after serious contemplation and consideration, I found my path to spirituality to be, "Where I feel most at peace."

Once I chose to build my spirituality on the foundation of that which "Makes me feel most at peace," the rest was fairly easy. 

I know I feel 'most at peace,' in the water, on the water, and out, in and with Nature. 

I am a swimmer, and my 'happy place' has always been 'swimming in the water.' 

Of course, I can't always swim, and so, next was 'on the water,' and that was kayaking.

And for when I can't swim or kayak, there is always, walking, hiking and gardening.... all things which put me 'in tune' with Nature.

I learned to focus on that 'higher power,' which nature is, while engaging in these activities, so that I could learn not only to recognize and respect it, but also, to allow it to show me how to accept it.


No comments:

Post a Comment